Dear Reader …
We need your help to turn this into the UK’s most comprehensive digital library of music from the Great War. Do you have any of the following?
- original 78rpm records released between 1912 and 1920
- original sheet music published between 1912 and 1920
- original theatre / music-hall posters or handbills from before 1920
- original postcards published during the Great War
- original photographs from 1914 to 1918 (home front images preferred)
- newspapers, or newspaper clippings, from 1914 to 1920
- or indeed anything else that you think might be of interest for this project?
Whether you are a collector, a museum curator, a trader, a teacher or other academic, or just someone who owns original music-related memorabilia from the Great War era, we will greatly value any digital contribution you are able to make to our online collection.
What we are looking for
In due course we will be publishing, in a sub-menu to this page, lists of items we are looking for. In the meantime, please use the form at the bottom of this page to send us whatever you have.
What’s in it for you?
If we publish your contribution in our digital library, we’ll publicly acknowledge and thank you for your valuable contribution. But perhaps far more important than that will be the satisfaction of knowing that you have contributed towards the success of this project and therefore towards the preservation of the important heritage of this country.
You will be sending us digital copy for which you own the rights. The music library will be published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International licence, and therefore you will be helping our project immensely if you grant us the permission to publish your contribution under a Creative Commons licence.
How to send to us
You can send us your digital contribution by any one of the following three methods:
- as an upload to this project site (please use the form at the bottom of this page)
- as an email, with attachment(s), to email@example.com (subject line should be ‘Music Will Win The War’)
- via WeTransfer.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
See below for lists of file formats that we’ll accept.
Audio files should be submitted in any one of the following formats: MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, FLACC.
Images should be in JPEG, TIFF, or BMP format, and at least one side (i.e. either the width or the height) should measure no less than 1024 pixels. For example, 1200 by 800 would be fine, as would 768 by 1024; but 800 by 800 might turn out to be just a little bit too small for us.
Text documents should be submitted in any one of the following formats: TXT (i.e. just plain, ordinary text), RTF (Rich Text Format), PDF (Portable Document Format), .DOC, .DOCX, .ODT. And spreadsheets in any one of the following formats: .XLS, .XLSX, .CSV, or .ODS.
Lastly, if you have web links to useful relevant resources that we appear not to have listed on our site, please do let us know.